Saturday, March 30, 2013

The Games...

Louisville had its first real test of the NCAA Tournament tonight from a good Oregon team.  Oregon's guards were impressive. They mostly neutralized Louisville's turn-them-over-score-in-transition offense, and the Cardinals had to rely on trips to the line to escape.

The Ducks should rise up to elite level next season. I haven't gone over the box scores, but I'm willing to wager tonight's game represented the first time this year Louisville turned the ball over more than their opponent.

If I'm wrong, I'm just another Digger making bad predictions.

Speaking of Digger, I heard he was 0-4 in his predictions for tonight's games.  Digger is like that old man at the track who tells you he just hit a $1,000 exacta, when he lost $8,000 the rest of the day betting.

I've doubted Trey Burke all year.  Every time I happened to turn on a Michigan game, they lost, and he looked bad.  It's not really my fault.  Except I guess I should have watched more of the Wolverines.

I will doubt Burke no longer.  What he did late in the game against Kansas tonight was special.  Most players not named Chitwood don't want the ball late in the game.  Burke, unlike Johnson on KU's side, demanded the ball.

Where does tonight's choke rate in Kansas Jayhawks choking history?  It's probably not in the Top 5.  I'm still wondering how Kansas escaped last week's fate of becoming the first #1 seed to lose to a #16.

Florida looked awful for the first 15 minutes of their game against the other Florida.  But then they turned it up, turned the scoreboard around, and coasted to victory.  I still don't think Florida is as good as their hype all year long.  They capitalized on a very weak SEC.  The Gators are probably the weakest Elite 8 team.

Duke looked soft in the Michigan State game.  But hot 3-point shooting early in the 2nd half set them up for a victory.  How many easy layups did Plumlee miss?  What will he do when he goes up against Louisville's Dieng, a shot-blocker who missed the first meeting between the two schools?  I guess a player looks slightly better getting their junk rejected than if they flat out miss a bunch of point-blank shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment